Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Crowdsourcing the Summer Reading List

This morning I came across a post in The Chronicle of Higher Education where the author talked about "crowdsourcing" his summer reading list. His list contained one book that is already on my wish list of books to read -- The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration. It's on my list for obvious genealogical reasons. I began to wonder which books (primarily those which have been published in the last two or three years) that other genealogists have read lately that they would recommend for others to read. I cannot promise to read every book that is mentioned here because I've got a huge "to be read pile" that I need to reduce, several books that I'll be utilizing in creating additional presentations or in seeking background materials for families I'm researching, and several library books that I'd really like to read. However, I'm always on the lookout for other books to add to my "black hole" (as one of my reading friends calls it), some of which will even take priority over ones already there!

So, here are the rules, if you choose to participate. I will post my own response as I

  1. Books on the list should have been published in 2008 or later. (If they are older than that, they should already be on our radar.)
  2. Books can be fiction or non-fiction. They do not necessarily have to be genealogy-related or history-related, but that is always a bonus.
  3. Leave a comment here with no more than 5 books listed in the thread. (We want only the cream of the crop.) If you choose to post your response on your own blog, please leave a comment with a link to your blog here so I don't miss your response! With so many great blogs out there now, I can only follow a few. I wouldn't want to miss yours.
  4. Deadline for submissions is April 30, 2011. I will post a summary of the results before I leave for the NGS Conference.
I'm looking forward to reading your recommendations. I suspect that a few items in my black pole will gain priority and that a few more will be added. I also suspect that I will have read a few of the items. I'll be posting my own 5 to the list as soon as I've had time to think about which 5 books are the best. I read over 100 books last year. I've already read 56 books this year, but my reading will slow down now that I can get out and about a little more. My Kindle has made it far easier for me to read almost anywhere now. I still read "real books," but I've grown to love the convenience of my Kindle.

No comments: