Friday, September 17, 2010

The UPS Man Arriveth

I just love it when the UPS man comes to my house. He brings packages with such interesting things. Today's delivery was a book I'd ordered from Amazon.




Rohrer, S. Scott. Wandering Souls: Protestant Migrations in America, 1630-1865. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2010.

The book addresses migrations of several religious groups over the period of time mentioned in the title. The first chapter deals with the Puritans. The second with the Anglicans of Virginia. The third with the Scots-Irish Presbyterians. [The author of the book called them Scotch-Irish. I remember being told that Scotch is something you drink or a brand of tape. People from Scotland are Scots. However, most of us realize that we have to live with both spellings for this ethnic group.] The fourth chapter deals with Pietists (such as the Moravians). The fifth chapter deals with Methodists, specifically in the area that became Ohio. The sixth chapter deals with Baptists and Congregationalists. The sixth chapter deals with the Amana Colony in Iowa. The seventh chapter deals with the Mormons. I'm really looking forward to using this volume as I research my ancestors and the ancestors of others. I'm really glad that I stumbled across a reference to it the other day in a book review that crossed my desk at work.



3 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

I have some early Ohio Methodists in my family tree...I will try to track down a copy of this book! Thanks for the heads up!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Lori - I had a chance to read this book (well...the parts about Ohio)
and I found a chapter which discussed Rev. Alfred Brunson, who preached on the Methodist circuit in the location where my Mom's Connecticut ancestors settled! So glad to have learned of this book from your blog post!

Lori Thornton said...

Glad it was useful!