Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cite Your Sources

I just noticed an obituary on a genealogy blog copied and pasted from either Legacy.com or from the electronic edition of a newspaper which published the same version. The blogger did not include a link to the original location, nor did she include a source citation for where she obtained the item. The blogger is not giving credit where credit is due and is, therefore, guilty of plagiarism. As often as we hear the three words, "Cite your sources," in genealogical circles, you would think that the proper documentation would have been automatic.

I also just noticed a post by another genealogist who wishes that she had not shared information with another genealogical researcher. Why? Because that person had posted the information and photos shared without proper attribution. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard this sentiment echoed. I'd be a rich person. CITE YOUR SOURCES, people, CITE YOUR SOURCES.

1 comment:

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

Sigh... so true. I was just lamenting to Hubs last night about how annoying it is to find the same UNSOURCED photo of my gg-grandparents copied over and over again to almost every tree in which they're found on Ancestry. Doesn't anyone ever question WHERE this photo came from? How do we KNOW those are the correct people? Sure, it's a cool photo, but COME ON people!

I sometimes think I could post any old thing, call it TRUTH, and people would just take it as gospel and copy it. I wouldn't do that, but you know what I mean.