Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Horse Forecast

I'm really sorry that I missed the horse forecast yesterday because it would have saved me a lot of wishful thinking. Here in East Tennessee, we have the good fortune of having a weather predictor who is more accurate than all the meteorologists on television and at the National Weather Service. This predictor is named Prince and is a horse belonging to the afternoon drive DJ (Gunner) on WIVK (country station).

When I left work yesterday, the National Weather Service was calling for very little snow because there was going to rain coming in right behind the little bit we'd get which would wash it away. I drove to church and stayed until after choir practice. When I got in the car, I immediately heard the weather forecast (provided by one of the television station meteorologists) which was now calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow. They were saying the rain wouldn't come until after I was at work the next morning. I liked this forecast! I might actually get to see some of the white stuff! When I got home, I went online and checked the National Weather Service forecast and checked the National Weather Service forecast for our zip code. It was very much in line with what I'd just heard. I was getting very hopeful.

I did look out the window at one point in the night and see a small amount of snow on the lawn. However, I heard rain at two different points in the night. It basically washed away all our snow so we had no winter wonderland.

When I got in the car this morning, the morning drive DJs were talking to the traffic guy about how the horse had gotten it right. I immediately knew that I should have listened to the "horse forecast" the day before. The horse ALWAYS gets it right. (I think it's a 98 or 99% accuracy rating.) Prince must have been calm because that's the call for no snow. If Prince had been a little jittery, it would have been a small snow. For more snow, Prince has to be acting more nervous.

Update (1/18): I need to listen to the "Horse Forecast" this afternoon. The TV meteorologists are calling for 1-2 inches tomorrow.

No comments: